Friday, September 4, 2015

"You Did Not do for Me..."

As I scroll through my news feed and watch CNN, the images of a dead child washed up on a beach as his family fled Syria are burned into my head. I read about dozens of dead refugees being found on a train, hundreds dying at sea as they try to escape a war torn Middle East.
There are thousands lost, wandering, and stranded as they wait to enter Europe. Even in our own country, thousands of children are coming over the border escaping poverty, human trafficking, and the drug lords.
When I see the image of that child, and hear the stories of these people I can't help but think about my grandmother; Zenaida Teresita Castro, and my great grandmother Laudalina Castillo who braved the sea to come here from Cuba as refugees. I think of my aunt and uncle who came with them as children. They too fled cruelty, poverty, and tyranny for a better life.
I think of the first Christians who became refugees in Acts 8 as they were scattered abroad when persecution came to the church in Jerusalem. I think of the Israelites who became refugees when they fled Egypt in search of a better home, a home of freedom.
I think of Jesus, who when He was born became a refugee when His family had to flee to Egypt out of fear of Herod. These "illegals" crossing over our borders, these "Muslims" who are pouring into Europe have more in common with the first Christians, the Israelites, and our Lord Jesus Christ then we might care to admit.
And I have a lot in common with them. For I am the grandson of a someone just like them; a refugee....
What should be the Church's response? I believe God has a special place in His heart for these "illegals". His children were once refugees, so was His only begotten Son... Our response is clear. He tells us in Matthew 25:42-45,
For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
Thought for today:
Next time you look into the eyes of a refugee, you are looking into the eyes of Jesus. Treat them accordingly.

1 comment:

  1. Wow , that is powerful! The mission of hope you feel for our church comes from deep within. May God use this compassion mightily!

    ReplyDelete